I've seen alot of people jumping ship and threatening to not vote this election cycle or vote for McSame.
What part of the capitulation on FISA are you still confused about?
It fucking blows. It means that Obama is the lesser of two evils.
There is a time when it makes sense to take a stand and say "NO MORE" to voting for the lesser of two evils. This is not that time. The Scalito faction has 4 of the 9 votes. 4 years of McCain gives them 6-7 of the 9 votes.
The Scalito faction believes:
- That we are at "war" with radical Islam, although there has been no Declaration of War as required by Article 1.
- That this "war" justifies suspending basic rights such as habeas corpus and the First, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth amendments.
- That the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts don't actually mean what they say. The Scalito gang would probably approve a Poll Tax.
- That the current weak campaign finance reform laws are unconstituional. That is, while they would happy approve a Sedition Law imprisoning people for disagreeing with the government during war, they would argue that limits on campaign contributions are an unconstitutional abridgment of free speech.
- They also would find that any restrictions on media consolidation to be an abridgement of free press.
Taken together the last 3 points mean that under a Scalito government: the media would be even more one-sided than during 2002 and 2003; vote supression tactics would be widespread and more severe than since the end of Jim Crow; and corporations could openly buy elections.
You think the above are exaggerations? They are not -- read their dissenting opinions over the past 16 years.
For this reason, this is a time when the right thing to do is vote for the lesser of two evils.
Also, let's not confuse ourselves here and imagine that Hillary, in the same position, would not have capitulated. She's as much a triangulator as Bill and Obama are. As Krugman has documented, neither Clinton nor Obama talked much about progressive issues until Edwards forced them to.